Country
Week Of: December 17, 2007
cou

Making A List

I'm not sure if you knew this, but R&R is a part of the Nielsen Company, the guys who measure a lot of things people use. Ever hear of the "Nielsen ratings"? We all received an e-mail this morning from the home office containing top 10 U.S. lists for 2007, as compiled by Nielsen. Categories included TV, Internet, movies, music DVDs, books, video games, advertisers and consumer-purchasing trends.

This is the time of year when people like to look at lists of things from the past 12 months. In this week's R&R, I did it too, compiling the top stories from 2007. Be sure and check it out this Friday (Dec. 14).

Back to the Nielsen list for a minute. I found it quite interesting. For example, of the top 10 most-played songs on the radio this year in the U.S., Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats" is No. 7, logging 334,000 plays. That's a lot, but still 31,000 behind the No. 1 song on the list, T-Pain featuring Yung Joc's "Buy U a Drank (Shawty Snappin')." In spite of its lofty status at No. 1, I can honestly tell you I've never heard that one before.

In terms of regularly watched TV shows, the top four slots belong to "American Idol" and "Dancing With the Stars," respectively. Idol is Nos. 1 and 2, with the Wednesday results show claiming the top spot. The Monday edition of "Dancing" is No. 3, followed by the results show at No. 4.

The Super Bowl easily topped the list of single telecasts, which is no real surprise. Google and Yahoo! are the No. 1 and 2 Web sites, also no big shocker. YouTube was No. 8, followed by one of my faves, Wikipedia, at No. 9. That site is like going into a bookstore for me. I always end up spending more time there than I realize.

I found the consumer-goods results interesting. Bread and milk top the list, with toilet paper at No. 3. Some 93% of U.S. households said they purchased some in the last year, which begs the question: What the hell is going on with the other 7%?

Finally, just for grins and giggles, as they say, I'll list my 10 favorite albums for the year. They're in no particular order, they don't represent any endorsement, and I don't claim to be a qualified music reviewer, nor do I play one in this column. These are just my opinions; like navels, and you-know-what-else, everybody has one.

Keith Urban
- "Love, Pain, and the
Whole Crazy Thing"
Vince Gill
- "These Days"
Brad Paisley
- "5th Gear"
Lori McKenna
- "Unglamorous"
Sugarland
- "Enjoy the Ride"
Reba McEntire
- "Duets"
Jason Aldean
- "Relentless"
Alan Jackson/George Strait/Jimmy Buffett
- "Live at Texas Stadium"
Taylor Swift
- "Taylor Swift"
Jack Ingram
- "This Is It"


 
 
Questions, Comments:
Contact the GFA Department
GFA@radioandrecords.com

© 2009 Radio & Records, Inc. “Going For Adds”™ is based on information provided by record labels, which is subject to change without notice.